Thursday, April 17, 2008

Do you like my hat?

FrugalFridays-754123-720528 I am sure many are aware of the benefits of shopping chez the dollarstores.  Too often we get wrapped up in the excitement of the price and fail to look at quality.  Ultimately our perceived bargain ends up in our junk drawer and winds up in the 5 cent pile at our next yard sale.  I am now aware of what is truly a deal and what is a waste and wanted to share with you one of the former.

We recently enrolled our son in swimming lessons and had to get one of those sexy bathing caps.  We finally tracked one down at Wally World for the outrageous price of $8.97. (for a piece of spandex) Having no other option than shaving him bald, I forked it over and proceeded to complain.  Three days later I was in the Dollarstore and there was a huge wall of identical caps for a buck. AHHHH.  On top of that there was every colour combo available, some good some well not so good.  I overheard the cashiers saying they sold out quick and more than likely not getting any more.  Needless to say I picked up a few to put away as I am sure over the course of my kids lives we will go through more than our fair share of caps.  Now some may say that the quality is not that great but until he reaches the likes of Michel Phelps I am not too worried.

 

 

black capblue cap

Can you tell the difference?  Neither could I....for the record my son liked neither. 

For more great ideas visit Biblical Womanhood Online

10 comments:

Dumuro said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
MyKidsMom said...

Very cute!

You're so right; some things at the DS are just TOO cheap.

Think I'll see if my local one has these, as well as swim goggles.

K-dog said...

You are so right! I've done that sooo many times too! I just wish the DS kept carrying the same things instead of always changing them. Some of the things I've found there are:

Bath paint tabs (no longer carry them)

Large Bottles of washable (kid's) paint
(no longer carry it)

Paint smocks (no longer carry it)

Just when you think you've found a deal...they take it out from under your feet. ....argh...

BarbaraLee said...

Does he really need to wear a cap? Is it required?

Cammie said...

I am a big fan of the dollar tree. I have learned the same lesson more than a few times! I try to remember to check there first.

Minimalist Mommy said...

Unfortunately he does have to wear one. If I actually cut his hair short maybe not but it looked like they all had them on. K-dog I hate it when they do that too. I still buy the oatmeal body soap and they have been carrying that on a regular basis. Also the three blade shavers are great. A blade is a blade in my book.

Mom2fur said...

Oh, he's so cute! I don't think little boys like hats at all, LOL! Mine sure didn't at that age.
As far as quality--since it's only meant to last one season, you really don't have to 'invest' in it.
Dollar stores can be a blast but you are right about being careful. And sometimes, it isn't such a great deal. A dollar for cheapo liquid hand soap sounds like a deal, until you realize that some store or another will have a quality brand name on sale each week--and with a coupon, it can be even less than a dollar!

yoshi3329 said...

I love the dollar tree and your lucky your going to learn how to swim, I wish I did LOL!

http://adlynmorrison.blogspot.com/

Jenny's Vegcafe said...

I love Dollar Tree too. I get a little nutty in the stationery and scrapbooking section.

BTW, I tagged you for a blog.

Sonshine said...

I love the Dollar Store. I go and look for some good quality gifts to give when my kids get an invite to a birthday party! :)

Also, you have been tagged!! Head over here to find out the details! :)